Thursday, February 07, 2008

it's the end of the world as we know it

So I have decided that I should never drink coffee within the 5 hour braket before I want to sleep. Presently, I am completely wired due to a Timmy's Cafe Mocha that I drank at 10pm... shoot.

Today I almost died. I know what you are thinking right now, "This is just one of Katrina's over exagerated tales" but I assure you that it is not. At about 5:30pm I got into my car to begin my drive up the escarpment. Usually I don't mind driving; I put in a sweet CD, crank it, sing along (occasionally dance), and cruise. Not today, as I got into my car, I noticed that I was being pelted by ice bullets and then quickly covered by huge snowflakes. Ice + snow + driving = near death. I don't think I have to go into detail about the drive, I am sure you have all had some kind of a similar experience.

I know that the weather is not a very interesting topic to talk/write about, usually only used to fill a moment of awkward silence. But what if I told you that the weather might be predicting the end of times? I saw and heard something today that I have never seen before, lightning and thunder during a snow storm. It was increadible; the snow muffled the thunder noise while the the lightning reflected of it. Robyn and I came to the conclusion that it was a sign that the world was ending. After this conclusion was made I Googled it and I came up with a letter from Ralph who assured us that "that thunder snow as some call it does happen. It is certainly uncomon, but not rare." Ralph seemed like a credible source, as he is a Newton Scientist.

Maybe our conclusion about the end times was a little rash, but it is understandable. This topic has been on the brain, because next Tuesday Jordan and I are doing a presentation on the topic Consummation in the 'Return of the King." I am pretty pumped about this topic. I can't wait to get started on it. I read the end of the LOTR while I was getting my hair done at the hairdressers and it was a little awkard because I got emotional... but I could not help it, Sam just does that to me. Okay.... I am going to stop now before I sound like a complete nerd.

To balance off that last topic I am going to talk about music. This week I discoverd a band called "As Tall As Lions" and I think that they are fantastic. I am torn whether to tell people about them, because I like it that they are not well known, but then again music is all about sharing. Oh, and also you should check out Great Aunt Ida. I babysit for the Bowens and Ben Bowen introduced me to her because he plays in her gigs. I really like her sound, it's the kind of music that you would sit in a comfy chair sipping tea to on a rainy day.

Speaking of sipping tea, today I was culturized. Tonight Robyn prepared a wonderful meal and right before I was about to pick up a fork to eat I looked over and Robyn was eating with her hands! She told me that it was the Ugandian way. I have to admit, at first I was a little apalled, but then embraced it and followed suit. If you have never had the sensation of eating rice and stirfry with your hands I highly recommend it. It brings a whole new meaning to 'finger licking' good.

That said, I am glad it's not the end because I feel like I am just beginning.

7 comments:

Mr. H said...

i think if i did ate like that, i wouldn't get invited to many homes...not that i do anyway.

Anonymous said...

I would like a timmy's cafe mocha right now. Mmmm...

Danielle said...

i second that. the french vanilla mix i brought is quickly being depleted.
on a separate note, trine, every time i read your blog i miss you more! you're silly, and i miss being around. soon though, soon!

Anonymous said...

oh, and I hate to break it to you trine but "as tall as lions" is already incredibly popular

Katrina VandenBerg said...

great...

Mr. Ben said...

hey! do you like A Northern Chorus? They're not as popular as As Tall As Lions (who have something like 38,000 Myspace friends), and they have a similar sound - like a bigger version of DCFC or something: http://myspace.com/anorthernchorus

...oh and hi. nice blog. it's very exciting to go ego-surfing and find new places on the web that your name appears and realize they're not new places that you yourself have created! yay!

Mr. Ben said...

sorry, also, try
www.myspace.com/nickzubeck and
and
http://www.myspace.com/brianmacmillan (wow. that guy gigs more than I do!)
and maybe
http://www.myspace.com/erikawerry

...WAY "smaller" than either ANC or ATAL.