Thursday, January 31, 2008

let's pretend

For the sake of making my blog interesting compared to the exciting blogs from France and England, let's pretend that I am writing you all from an exotic island. And also for the sake of myself, because of the time difference on this island, I am not writing this at 2:30am but 2:30pm.

As I am writing I am fending off a crazy monkey that is trying to bite my toes, this monkey looks an awful lot like a kitten named Charlley. (Yes, I finally decided on a name for my kitten with the help of Robyn. It's pronounced Charlie, but spelt in a female way).

Life on this island is pretty exciting. It is not everyday that you wake up to cloudy skies and unpredictible climate change. One day it could be 5 degrees and mud is sticking to your pants, while the next day it could be -11 (with the windchill feel more like -40). I bet you tomorrow will bring some snow squalls. For all you back in Canada, England, and France, snow squalls are heavy periods of snow fall throughout the day. These really only happen on this island, so I am the only priviledged one who will get to live through them.

I am having a lot of down time lately, relaxing in the jungle... This means I can read as much as I want to. Right now I am reading through the LOTR with the occasional 19th piece on the side to keep my mind sharp. This reading is really helping me out with the classes that I am taking through Redeemer's new online classes. My Lewis and Tolkien class is by far my favourite class. I came into this class as a casual interest and I am quickly turning into a nerd... I fully embrace this.

I have met this really precious baby named Abigail Bowen in my explorations. She is simply adorable and I love spending time with her. We love to dance to Dixie Chicks together. I also just love it when it is her nap time and she just snuggles with me as she sleeps. Probably one of the highlights of my weeks here.

The other day the community center held a Soup Fest. This is where all the local restaraunts made their famous soups for us to try. My favourite one was Asparagus with White Mushroom. Mmmmm, it was delectible. Robyn tried one that was a definate FLOP - coconut chicken (by the way, Robyn came along with me to the Island).

I wish I could post pictures of this Island, but blogger isn't letting me dowload them right now. Oh, well some other time then eh?

Okay... I admit, I am not actually on a sweet Island somewhere and it is definitley 3am in the morning. Shoot... I wish I was travelling right now. I don't know what has gotten into me, but I am feeling pretty restless and I just want to go or do something different with my life. So just for now I will keep on pretending. Heck, daydreaming is one of my favourite past times, so why not?

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

snow squalls on an exotic island? Trine- if you are restless and wanting to travel- I wouldn't choose an island with snow squalls. But I get your drift. Ha. What a pun.

Anonymous said...

haha. I liked that Trine. I almost believed you for a minute, but then I wondered where you were getting internet from to blog and take online classes...and if you could take lewis and tolkein online, I would definately be doing that right now! I envy you for being in that course. Shakespeare and Drama are decent, but theyre not totally my thing.

Anonymous said...

mmmm take me to your island. forget this cold weather.

LStew said...

stop pretending.

Katrina VandenBerg said...

Ree, you're very punny

Lindsay said...

I am glad you finally named your kitten. Charlley is a great name, much better than all my lame suggestions.

Robyn deGroot said...

i was all excited that we were on an island together...but then you ruined it and said that we weren't. bummer. we can still pretend if you want. I want a cool name on our island though... like gwynn. I like that name.