Sunday, March 12, 2006

we live in a broken beautiful world

As Coldplay says, we live in a beautiful world; I think that this is why it hurts so much to realise the corruption that overshadows the beauty. The other night I watched the movie Constant Gardener - definately recommend it. It is a thought provoking movie to say the least. Without giving the plot away, the movie is full of grief and horror. It portrays a very cynical view of international politics and commerce. I would love to be able to say that this portrayal is an over exageration, but I am afraid that it isn't. After watching the movie I was overwhelmed with the capacity of humans. I was digusted with our greed and and ashamed of how we take advantage of the weak. It is accounts such as this that leave me with a broken heart for mankind. I don't understand how we can be able to face others all the while knowing that we will allow and cause them to die. The part in the movie that struck me the most was when a little girl was escaping from a raid along with two UN workers towards a rescue plane. Once they were on the one man told them that the little girl could not come along with them. The girl seemed to understand that she was not wanted and jumped off the plane and just ran beside it. The reason why this struck me so hard was that it emphasised the reason why most of us do not react against the injustices of this world. I know for myself it is increadibly overwhelming to dwell on the social injustices of this world and I feel that it is impossible to fix it so I am tempted just to give up. We use the excuse that there are millions of people who all need our help and we can't involve ourselves in all their lives. What we forget is that we there are individuals that we can help, even though we can't save them all, we can save a few. And by doing so bring back hope to this broken world, proving that we are still "human."

1 comments:

liz said...

this reminds me of a story my pastor once said in one of his sermons:

A child is walking down beach with a parent. Thousands of starfish are washed up on shore. When the child asks what they can do to save the starfish, the parent says, “Child, there are too many on the shore, we’ll never save them all.” With that, the child bends over, picks up a starfish, and tosses it back into the ocean, and says, “Well, I just saved one.”

Just like the little boy, we have to realize that it is impossible for one person to help everyone; we should focus on helping one person at a time.