Thursday, March 23, 2006

night

A couple of summers ago a girl on my baseball team confronted me with this question, "You are religious right? Why do you need to have a God? I don't and my life is fine." Unfortunately, at that time in my life I did not have an answer to her question, but this has stuck with me and has forced me to reavaluate why I believe what I believe and realise why this world needs a Saviour.
Tonight I read a book called "Night" by Elie Wiesel. This is a powerful account of a Jewish boy who lived through the German concentration camps. Once again, through this book I was reminded of how devesatingly sick and evil human nature is. When we pushed to the limits we are capable of much evil and destruction. I don't know what could possess a man to torture another human being, burn little children, laugh at the pitifulness of a dying man, kill for a scrap of bread, or even turn against one's own father. When we fell as a race, we did not trip into sin, we plummeted. God's heart must break when He watches us, we have fallen so far away from what He intended us to be. This is why we need a God - this is why we need a Saviour, because truthfully we are not fine without Him. I will never understand God's unconditional love for His people and His commitment to us. It baffels my mind. This is one of the reasons why I believe what I believe. If God is able to love despite how much we hurt and abuse Him, I believe in that love. Also I couldn't imagine a life without His redemptive hope.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm with ya girl...his love for us is sooo amazing... and we dont' deserve it at all and that's what makes it soo special..
I just want to tell you taht I really admire your faith trine... adn that you speak up about it every chance that you get... God is working amazingly in your life... and I'm glad that i've got to witness that...
thanks for being you and for sharing your faith.... I pray that I can be more like you with mine...
love ya girl
FF

LStew said...

happy birthday.