Sunday, March 02, 2008

consider the ravens

There is nothing like a steaming cup of tea in your favourite mug after a long day of HALO. Yes, I just said long day of HALO, eew. For my Intramurals class one of the requirements is organizing a tourney. We decided on a HALO tournament because we knew that if all else failed at least people would still come out, and by people I mean guys.

Have you ever sat on a couch watching your friends play video games as wondered “What’s the big deal?” Today, I got a little taste of the big deal, although I cannot and will never claim to understand it. According to a new study, I never will and it’s not my fault. They took 22 young volunteers — half men, half women — and had them play a game as an M.R.I. machine looked at what was happening in their brains. The study found that in the men, there was much more activity in the mesocorticolimbic system (James and Jordan that was for you). When guys play the games, a part of the brain involved in feelings of reward and addiction becomes much more activated than it does in us girls. So there you go, that’s the big deal.

For the last couple of days our house hasn’t has internet. I would love to able to blame it on Bell or even a faulty internet signal because of snow squalls. But the truth is it was a result of a chair race. One pleasant Wednesday afternoon, Robyn and I decided to race our two wheely chairs around the kitchen table. Robyn wanted a best out of 3, because I ended up winning the first one. On the third race, I was clearly in lead when in desperation Robyn threw the internet chords in my pathway. My race chair’s wheels got tangled in them and I screeched to a sudden stop. Let’s just say I am thankful that it was only our internet that suffered damage and that the modem comes with a warrantee that covers domestic acts of violence.

I usually don’t get caught up in the whole ‘RRRRole Up the Rim to Win’ craze, but this year I decided to at least give it a try. As we speak I am 2 for 3, once upon a time I was 2 for 2 and those were the glory days. The next cup I get will probably win me the boat. I can’t wait.

School work wise, this has been a pretty hectic week. Oh how I love the academic world. There is nothing like sitting in class and having a revelation or a remembrance that you have an assignment due the next class. Oh man, I think I really should start using my agenda.

Student Senate elections are going on as I speak (or write) and it is my job to run them. For the first time here at Redeemer Katrina VandenBerg is not running for Senate. It kinda feels weird, but also good, so good.

I just realized how random this was. Oops. Hopefully you could follow my trains of thought. I swear when I was writing they all connected somehow. I guess the title of this post will be random too, the title of the song I am listening too. "I love it its random like freestyling its random."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i listen to that song basically everyday. neat. you and robyn are physco. i didn't use any capitals in this comment until just Now.

Robyn deGroot said...

katrina lied by the way, which I'm sure you all knew, because she is a compulsive lier and cannot ever admit that she lost. Yes. I won the best out of three. and I didn't cheat. Katrina somehow managed to go off course and get another chair and all the internet chords stuck in her chair. Causing the internet modem to fly through the air and stop working. wonderful. i won. haha

Danielle said...

rrrrrrrrroll up a rim for me!

Katrina VandenBerg said...

I call for a rematch.

Anonymous said...

guys are better the girls. this blog proves it.