Sunday, August 27, 2006

putting baseball on a pedestal

A common theme that I often experience in my home country of Canada and in my circle of friends is the lack of respect and appreciation for the sport of baseball. All my life I have been ridiculed for my sport of choice with phrases such as, “Baseball isn’t even a sport.” Or “Anyone could play baseball, all you have to do is hit a ball and run the bases.”
Wrong, wrong, wrong.
I have been playing baseball since I can remember; starting off in the back yard with my dad and brother with our big red plastic bat, tball, junior ball, and eventually to Winchester’s Big League Girls Fastball team.
Baseball is in no way a simple game, a pansy sport, or boring. I have the “battle scars” and the injuries to prove it. Nothing gives me the adrenaline rush like an intense game of baseball, nor do I enjoy nothing as much as watching than a Blue Jays game.
Although I cannot make you like baseball, I am going to try to explain to you why I love baseball and what makes it such a great sport.

- the fact that you have to think about every play before it happens, the strategy involved with baseball in amazing
- “turning two” (making a double play)
- catching a line drive
- tracking down a ball in the field, making the occasional diving catch
- making the sweeping tag to get a runner who is attempting to steal a bag out
- gunning out a person at first base
- the intensity of having two out bases loaded, tie game
- three up, three down
- hearing the crack of the bat
- having a full count
- out running the throw to first
- stealing bases
- feeling of a grand slam
- sliding home
- having no time limit
- your beautiful worn in glove that you wouldn’t trade for anything

Did anyone else notice that for the August Time Out, under the Blue Jays vs Boston game description, it says, “Come out and see baseball players in red socks.” I can’t believe it! It should be more along the lines of, “Come out and see the Blue Jays rock those red socks off of Boston!”

I would also like to give a shout out to my sister Erika, who drove in the winning run in our final game for our baseball finals. We won the series 3-2. I wasn’t able to be there for the last game because I was at camp, but my sister did me proud! :)

I leave you with this: appreciate baseball, respect baseball, and support the Jays. It will be worth it. Trust me.

3 comments:

de Ruijter said...

I can't wait to go to that Jays game, should be a good one, and of course a win. Remember, how excited you were last year? That was funny! see you soon!

Josh said...

i have one question (i have many, MANY comments, but i will be nice;) this time....) how do you know "the feeling of a grand slam"???? shouldnt it say "the feeling of my teammate hitting a grandslam"? just asking :) thanks for having us over on the weekend! it was fun!

Katrina VandenBerg said...

thanks for holding back your MANY comments... although im sure ive heard them all.

and ixnay on the fact that i can't hit a grand slam! i just dream about it... lol. im sure it would be awesome.

ahh well, maybe i just tone my pipes for next years season.