Thursday, May 31, 2007

some people need to get a hobby...

I first want to clarify that I have absolutely nothing against the 'Scripps National Spelling Bee.' In fact I think it is incredible and I watch the finals every year on tv. Those 13 year olds are genious; I watch the whole three hours, mouth agape with wonder at the words they spell.
Psychologists feed on this: I was and never will be a good speller, to put it bluntly I suck at it. I was always the first kid to sit down while competing in Mrs. Summers' spelling bees and the first one to strike out in Spelling Baseball with Mr. Postma. Maybe that is why I am so fascinated...

But when I read this article titled ' Protest urges simpler English,' I actually laughed out loud.

A group of English women formed a picket line yesterday outside the Scripps National Spelling Bee, protesting today's English language. Get this, they are from England, which means that they had to fly ALL the way across the Atlantic ocean to run this protest!!

The reason that they protest is because they think that the English language that has been inflicted across the rest of the world has been made unnessarily difficult. They use slogans such as "It's time to take the sting out of spelling," and "Let's end the 'i' in friend".
Clever?

One lady declared, "If spelling was made easier, more people would become literate and confident about writing and children would have more time to learn many other useful things - and to play."

Wow, that is quite the cause.
Maybe I should rephrase my title... 'Some people need to get a NEW hobby."

0 comments: