Sunday, May 06, 2007

oh summer employment...

What was the very first job that you ever had?

Think back, think hard.

Well, there was this time when I was about 7 when my Aunt Grace would pay us a cent for every fly that we would kill in her house... that was kind of like a job, there were a 'whack' of flies (no pun intended).

No actually my very first job that I ever had was being a cat sitter. Though at the time I didn't really see the need. I thought all cats were supposed to be wild and free, catching mice in the barn and running away from human beings. A nice friendly cat who didn't scratch was foreign to me. And yet I cat sat for my grade three teacher Mrs. Luchies. Though the job was tough I did prevail and made a whole $3 for the week. (I made her a cross-stich of her cat for her birthday the next month - extra brownie points!)

What was the very first thing you ever spent your own money on?

Well, other than the 1 cent candies at the corner store, I used my hard earned money on a Nano... yes that's right a Nano. I was one of those kids. One Saturday I rode my super cycle to down town Winchester to buy one, except it wasn't one of the cool Nano's cause they didn't have those in stalk. It was a cheap version of one and it was a dog. Too bad I lost it the next week when it fell into the cracks of the couch, never to be seen again.

In lue of this let me make a toast to being employed, minimum wage being much more than we used to work for, and learning how to spend our money 'wisely.'

5 comments:

Tim Selles said...

hear hear. It's nice to be working, especially since there is currently a balance of -13.13$ in my bank... hopefully I'll make enough money to return to that overpriced school of ours and buy at least a couple of the necessary textbooks. nice blog trine.

Anonymous said...

I was confused when you said nano, because I was thinking of an iPod nano. I think the term we use in BC for those things was either a "giga pet" or a "tamagachi."

Robyn deGroot said...

I think I had a tamagachi, I got bored of it pretty quick though and let it die. How cruel. It's sad that kids today need pets on the computer instead of using their imaginations and teddy bears.

Anonymous said...

word to teddy bears

Katrina VandenBerg said...

I am still convinced that they come alive during the night and live a life that we are oblivious to...
evidence: Cow was on the floor this morning, when I went to sleep he was with me in bed.
coincidence I think not.