Monday, February 12, 2007

vice president speech

For all of you that were not able to hear my speech this morning.

Leadership is an action, not a position and a key component to action is vision.

I have served on Student Senate for both my years at Redeemer, as a First Year Representative and currently as Secretary. Over these past years I have realised the importance of not only having a vision but also implementing and accomplishing it.

Redeemer’s Student Senate has incredible potential. This year in particular we have realised that Senate was not reaching its full potential. Over the past couple of months we have been actively pursuing this issue and have been restructuring Senate so that it does not settle for what it is, but becomes what it ought to be. It is our job to ensure that the student’s voice does not get ignored and we must continue to accomplish our goal to become an effective, strong, and a reliable representative for you the students. As Vice-President I plan to carry on this vision with passion, perseverance, and practice.

I have a passion what Student Senate is and does. I realise that it is an awesome opportunity and a great responsibility to serve my fellow students and Redeemer. The more I learn and grow I become excited and motivated to see change and growth within the student body as a community. I want to see a community that will realise that we have a responsibility to our school; we have vital part to play in ensuring that Redeemer continues to grow with integrity. Our voices must be heard, our needs must be met, and our interests must be taken care of. My hope for Senate is that it is able to truly become the vehicle that makes this possible. It is our job to ensure that all the members of the Redeemer community remain responsive to the students.

To accomplish these goals you need perseverance. As the old saying says, ‘It is the leaky faucet that gets fixed first.’ My years on Senate have taught me the importance of persistence and perseverance. As Vice-President I promise to persevere in all circumstances, even when it seems as if what we have set before us is unattainable.

It is always easier to say something than actually do it, but I will practice what I preach. Through the position of Vice-President I will be a support for the President in leadership and direction, I will be available to hear your concerns and interests, and I will work towards building a stronger relationship between the student, Senate, and the Administration.

Lastly I will pursue Student Senate’s vision to ensure that it will reach its full potential and goals, all the while glorifying God through all its actions and seeking to advance His kingdom and promoting a spirit of service within the student body of Redeemer.

2 comments:

craig said...

you are going to do great.

Katrina VandenBerg said...

thanks craig :)