Tuesday, March 24, 2009

too far to face

If I go too far, call me on it, or if I don't go far enough (Matt), call me on it.

Last week Thursday was the last time I clicked on the Home page of Facebook, browsed other's photos, easdropped on conversations, and contemplated the next image I would use to convey myself to my community of friends. Has it only been a couple of days since I deactivated my account? It seems like much longer. Have you missed me? Have I missed you?

I would love to sit here and pronounce that I am experiencing freedom. Instead, I admit that I do miss you (or is it that I miss knowing what you are doing and saying, who you are interacting with and where). I actually have to talk to you - darn.

Facebook has gone too far. It has taken on the responsibility of upholding relationships.  

Please come back and let's interact in a similar, but simpler way. A creational way?

7 comments:

kyle and ade said...

I haven't been on since Christmas...have you missed me!? haha oh facebook.

Good call Trine...soon enough its like you never had it...and then you get the freinds that think they need to update you on everything that goes on on facebook...haha so its like i never left :)

Matt said...

Nice work!
a line really caught my eye...
"Facebook being responsible for upholding relationships"

i wonder how much i rely on facebook to connect me with people who are far away, but then i rarely talk to them. It can work to connect us, but can it also take the responsiblity away from us to connect with people?

You are wise to note how facebook affects "responsiblity" within relationships.

steve said...

I've been having some similar thoughts lately... I'm not sure what will come of them. thanks for sharing!

since I can't post on your wall anymore...


happy birthday!

Matt said...

Happy Birthday Katrina!!!

i hope these posts are enough of an electronic fix as you get off facebook.

Hendrik said...

Thanks for pointing out Katrina's point about responsibility, Matt. I would've missed it. Maybe we should have a Kuyper's on electronic community.

And Katrina, well done! This is a great train of thought, and I encourage you to continue thinking about it/discussing it with others.

Robyn deGroot said...

I hope you guys all realize that you are doing the same thing as talking on facebook.. talking on blogger instead of face to face. It's just to less people.. or actually its to the whole world instead of just your "friends". haha

Katrina VandenBerg said...

I don't think there is anything wrong with iteracting with ideas over the internet.
Blogs are a similar idea to Facebook, just a lot simpler and they do not plaster the events and lives of over 100 people all over your homepage.