Friday, December 28, 2007

board games

I grew up on these things. Every Sunday afternoon for as long as I can remember was designated as family bonding time via board games. Now, I know that most people dread the thought of ever playing and would rather deem them 'bored' games. But I assure you, spend and afternoon with the VandenBerg's playing Monopoly or Settlers and you will never see them in the same light (the board games).

My Dad likes to see them as a bonding tool, but I'm not sure that's the purpose they hold in my family. You see, my family is made up of half ruthless competitive and half sensative competitive members. Every game there is someone who ended up in tears while the others left miffed, except for the one who won... they would be rubbing it in every other minute (actually only if one of the ruthless competitive ones won). Unfortunately for myself I am one of the ruthless competitive ones (I know this might come as a surprise). However, I am really bad at playing board games and I hardly ever win, wow, that was hard to admit. This is my theory, no one likes to see or let me win and everyone likes to get me all riled up and the perfect way of doing this is making me lose. When we play together it seems like everyone takes the extra mile just to boycott my plan in Settlers, refuse to trade properties in Monopoly, steal my boyfriend in the Barbie Game, always attack my countries in Risk, take my triple word score in Scrabble... trust me I could go on, but I will spare you. This history with board games has almost killed them for me, but since I have such a strength of character I continue on.

I guess the true purpose of this blog was to announce that last night we payed Settlers and I won against my family for the first time! It has been long awaited, but the victory felt marvelous. Just thought I would let the world know :)

6 comments:

liz said...

haha, "this history with board games has almost killed them for me" reminds me of a time when i played taboo with you. i almost died of laughing so hard when you tried to kill me...obviously you didn't succeed, opps, another thing you lost at ;)

yea for beating your family :)

Anonymous said...

i know the feeling katrina, i know the feeling.

kyle and ade said...

meow....8 toes...meow

Anonymous said...

now we are even:).
Jordans Mom

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Anonymous said...

Wedrarkam [url=http://wiki.openqa.org/display/~buy-zithromax-without-no-prescription-online]Buy Zithromax without no prescription online[/url] [url=http://manatee-boating.org/members/Order-cheap-Codeine-online.aspx]Order cheap Codeine online[/url]