Wednesday, July 18, 2007

give me a home where the buffalo roam

I know you have been all biting at the bit, checking my blog every other hour, wondering when the next time I was going to share my writings with the world. Well, wait no longer, I have returned from my two week abyss in Alberta and am brimming with stories to tell.

Warning, these blogs will most likely be a novel, you can skim it if you want or just ignore it. I'm kinda writing this for my own sake so that when im 65 years young I can show this to my kids and prove to them that they have an extremely hip mom and so that I can remember these past two weeks, because I never want to forget them. Ever.

It all started off with a chugging of a litre of pink lemonade. My bladder thanked me for this in about 1.5 hours and since I was too scared to use the bathroom on the plane it kept thanking me for the next 3 hours. No one even suspected that I was new flyer, not even when I had to ask how to recline my chair or the fact that I had my face pressed against the window the whole time - you would be suprised what you can see... clouds, clouds, clouds, and the occasional city blow up in Saskatoon. I peeled my face away from the window for about half and hour to watch an episode of The Office, I think I might have laughed a little to loud for plane curtisy, because the guy next isle over asked me what I was watching.

When I landed in Calgary, I suddenly realised how big the airport was and the fact that I didn't tell Tim what flight I was on... so needless to say I was never so happy to see the face Tim over all the cowboy hats roming around. Ryan's flight arrived at pretty much the same time mine did, I swear out planes almost collided on landing, but I gave the pilot the heads up that a WestJet flight was coming in just in the knick of time. Airport reunions are sweet like honey.

Tim's brother (forever remembered as the cake eater) drove us all to the city of Lethbridge. It was a pretty stellar trip with cigar smoke lingering in the air, the famous 7/11, discovering that Tim Horten's took debit, and gas fights.
Our first stop in Lethbridge will be remembered with a crazy hoolagan running towards us with big hair and then jumping on his sweet car - how I missed you Matt. Next stop Robyn and the Wonderbread truck - golden reunion (with Robyn). I had to pinch myself a couple of times that night/morning to make sure that Robyn was actually standing there infront of me.

Even though we stayed up early enough to see Robyn's dad off to work, the next morning I awoke at 7am. I like to blame it on the time change but really I think it was more of a kid on their birthday moment. Once everyone else woke up we went to eat breakfast at the most happening restaraunt in town, Smitty's. With our bellies full of delicious toast and eggs we decided that it would be a good time to go bridge jumping off a '20 foot' bridge. We spent the rest of the afternoon there just catching up with eachother, watching a dead bunny float by, dogs play by the riverside, and just relaxing in the sun. Tim played soccer that night, so we all went to watch and were impressed that we knew this guy. I even tried out coaching from the side lines, teaching them that clustering like grapes is not a good idea. After the game we went out for drinks and then spent the night at the classic hang out spot, sharing stories and getting to know Jordan, Lindsay, and Josh for the first time.

Since the guys did not invite us to Edmonton to watch Canada play soccer, Robo and I had a day to ourselves. I finally got to experience the coolies first hand. On the way down we saw an old abandoned shack and a random door that lead to nowhere - although I bet it was a door that leads to a whole new world... Once we got to the bottom there was a river of glacier water so we went for a dip with King (Robyn's dog). For some reason if he ever felt the need to dry himself off he would stand between me and Robyn and shake. That afternoon we went shopping and I managed to get my name called over the intercom... super. The night was spent with the family watching the soccer game on TV, scanning the crowds for the crazy fans that we knew. Once it got dark out Robyn and I just lay outside on her lawn looking up at the massive sky filled with stars talking about life... incredible.

We woke up to the sound of Levi pelting Sarah and her friends with an airsoft gun, I thought it was funny, but I am not sure Josh felt the same way. Today we were heading off to go camping in the hoodoes. On the way there we encountered this huge bridge that was built with the sole reason of supporting vechicles across a raging river, but somehow the guys thought it was meant for jumping off of. So needless to say I watched my friends (even Robyn) plummet 40 feet into water. I must admit it looked awesome and at times like that I wish I wasn't scared of falling to my death from such great heights. Once we got to our campsite we were welcomed by a friendly deer, which I would have tamed if it wasn't for the guys making fun - it was a sensative dear. Since it was a scorcher of a day we spent all afternoon 'swimming' in Milk river. We almost made a sandcastle too, but that was just an empty suggestion. After supper we went to the hoodoes to check them out, the guys thought it would be great to jump them and Ryan managed to give me heart failure. After this escapade the guys thought it would be great to give the Park Rangers an interesting night by skinny dipping in the river. Meanwhile me and Robyn started the killer fire, Robo manned the ax and I tore down a tree with my bare hands. - Pause for you to be impressed -

The next morning I woke up thinking it was about 9am when it was really 6am... those years in GEMS did not teach me how to read the sun. So I read some, took a nice stroll, and waited for everyone else to stop 'wasting' their day by sleeping in till noon ie. 10am. Matt took a little longer to wake up, so the guys collapsed the tent on him and the family that was getting water from the tap near by was greeting with the sight of a Matt walking half asleep in his boxers. Once everyone was rip roaring to go, we went on a hike to through Writing on Stone. Matt tried his lot at being the trail blazer, but I must admit I was a little more qualified to lead the hike than he. We went for a swim to cool down from the hike and then flaked out on the beach until it was time to go. On the way back Ryan had the sweet idea to make a rocking playlist, each picking 6 songs - all I have to say is that my friends have great taste in music and the last 3 songs were classic. That night we went to see Transformers in theatre, me and Robyn decided against going all hardcore and left our transformer outfits at the house. It was a great movie, exceeded my expectations by far, and I even had to hold back on the urge to go and buy a transformer toy.

hmmm... when I said novel I guess I wasn't joking, man a living i think im getting carried away here, so im going to stop for now and go to bed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katrina,
The door is always open; the BBQ is always hot; the dugout is always full-for you.

Robyn deGroot said...

katrina!!! I want you back!!! That was such a great time, thanks for putting down in words, because i am too lazy too, and it needs to be done. Luv ya!

Rebecca said...

Katrina! You're back! I miss you lots- I'm glad you had a great vacation

Tim Selles said...

Hey Katrina! Ditto on what robyn said. Now I can just show my grandkids your blog instead of having to write one myself. Thanks for making the trip out! It was Fan-flippin-tastic!

Anonymous said...

hey i was enjoying that...