Wednesday, January 31, 2007

no man is an island

No man is an island, entire of itself. Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
- John Donne

Being involved in mankind is intimidating, because when you get involved (like John Donne points out) you realize that everyone is ultimately connected to each other and we are responsible for one another. For too long I have been using the cop out of fear to justify my lack of knowledge and involvement in the injustices and brokenness of this world. I am afraid to show mercy to the poor, spend time with hurting children, to witness the pain of dying people because I know that I will get my heart involved and it will break and be wrecked. This fear is what has stopped me from going on the many mission and outreach opportunities that have come my way. Selfish, I know.
This past week and a half has been a huge wake up call for me. Redeemer held a Social Justice week and as I sat there listening to the facts and seeing the images I couldn't help but feel so incredibly guilty. What I have done to show Christ's heart to those who need to see it the most?
So many times I felt helpless, hopeless, and my heart wrenched for the world. God was tugging at me, and I have realized that I am not satisfied and never will be just to sit back and do nothing. I want to touch people's lives with love, I want to make a difference in this world. I know that it won't be easy getting involved but I also know that God's powerful presence is with His people when they seek to do His will.
I forget who said it but this statement hit me pretty hard. "God breaks your heart so that your hands will be more willing to serve."

Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—

when you see the naked, to clothe him,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?

Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear, then your righteousness will go before you,
and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.

Then you will call, and the LORD will answer;
you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I

- Isaiah 58

Bono said, "Stop asking God to bless what you are doing. Get involved in what God is doing, because it's already blessed."

More than ever it is evident what God is doing, His heart is with the hurting, His heart is with the poor, His heart is for the dying, and that is where mine should be also.

0 comments: